There is still controversy about whether transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) can provide reliable estimations of pulmonary artery pressures (PAP). The primary endpoint of this study was to evaluate the correlation between TTE and right heart catheterisation (RHC) in estimating systolic (SPAP) and mean (MPAP) pulmonary artery pressures.
Between January 2011 and December 2018, 141 consecutive patients (average age 63.6±11.5 years; 84 women) with suspected or confirmed pulmonary hypertension (PH) were enrolled into this retrospective observational monocentric study. All patients underwent TTE and, within 3 hours, RHC. The correlation between TTE and RHC in estimating both SPAP and MPAP was retrospectively determined.
Seventeen (17) of the patients were excluded due to insufficient TTE signal quality. Of the remaining 124 patients, 18 had no PH. There was moderate correlation between both SPAP and MPAP estimated by TTE and those assessed by RHC (r=0.65 and r=0.60, respectively). Bland-Altman analysis revealed a bias of –11.9 mmHg (with the 95% limits of agreement ranging –45.4 to +21.5 mmHg) for SPAP estimation and –4.6 mmHg (with the 95% limits of agreement ranging –27.9 to +18.8 mmHg) for MPAP estimation, suggesting a general overestimation of PAP by TTE. The main factors responsible for discrepancies between TTE and RHC were: female gender, arrhythmic cardiac electrical activity, systemic arterial hypertension, and diuretic treatment.
Transthoracic echocardiography frequently overestimated PAP in comparison with RHC, especially in hypertensive women with arrhythmias and under diuretic treatment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Management of right heart failure in the intensive care unit.Clin Chest Med. 2015; 36: 511-520
- Right ventricle dysfunction in pulmonary hypertension: mechanisms and modes of detection.Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2015; 21: 446-453
- Haemodynamic definitions and updated clinical classification of pulmonary hypertension.Eur Respir J. 2019; 53: 1801913
- Inflammation in chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension: accomplice or bystander in altered angiogenesis?.Eur Respir J. 2015; 46: 303-306
- Survival and prognostic factors in patients with connective tissue disease-associated pulmonary hypertension by echocardiography: results from a Korean nationwide registry.Int J Rheum Dis. 2017; 20: 1227-1236
- Hemodynamic characteristics including pulmonary hypertension at rest and during exercise before and after heart transplantation.J Am Heart Assoc. 2015; 4: e001787
- Pulmonary hypertension in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis with mild-to-moderate restriction.Eur Respir J. 2015; 46: 1370-1377
- Complications of right heart catheterization procedures in patients with pulmonary hypertension in experienced centers.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 2546-2552
- Comprehensive invasive and noninvasive approach to the right ventricle-pulmonary circulation unit: state of the art and clinical and research implications.Circulation. 2009; 120: 992-1007
- 2015 ESC/ERS guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension: the joint task force for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS): endorsed by: Association for European Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology (AEPC), International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT).Eur Respir J. 2015; 46: 903-975
- Imaging in pulmonary hypertension.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2010; 3: 1287-1295
- Non-invasive diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension: ESC/ERS guidelines with updated commentary of the Cologne Consensus Conference 2011.Int J Cardiol. 2011; 154: S3-S12
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension: the key role of echocardiography.Echocardiography. 2015; 32: S23-S37
- Clinical and research measurement techniques of the pulmonary circulation: the present and the future.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2015; 57: 463-472
- Rebuttal from Dr Rich.Chest. 2013; 143: 1540-1541
- Rebuttal from Dr Rudski.Chest. 2013; 143: 1539-1540
- Counterpoint: can Doppler echocardiography estimates of pulmonary artery systolic pressures be relied upon to accurately make the diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension? No.Chest. 2013; 143: 1536-1539
- Recommendations for cardiac chamber quantification by echocardiography in adults: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015; 28: 1-39
- Recommendations for the evaluation of left ventricular diastolic function by echocardiography: an update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2016; 29: 277-314
- Guidelines for the echocardiographic assessment of the right heart in adults: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography endorsed by the European Association of Echocardiography, a registered branch of the European Society of Cardiology, and the Canadian Society of Echocardiography.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2010; 23: 685-713
- Improving the echocardiographic assessment of pulmonary pressure using the tricuspid regurgitant signal-The "chin" vs the "beard".Echocardiography. 2018; 35: 1085-1096
- New formula for predicting mean pulmonary artery pressure using systolic pulmonary artery pressure.Chest. 2004; 126: 1313-1317
- Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two different methods of clinical measurement.Lancet. 1986; 1: 307-310
- Accuracy and precision of three echocardiographic methods for estimating mean pulmonary artery pressure.Chest. 2011; 139: 347-352
- The diagnostic accuracy of Doppler echocardiography in assessment of pulmonary artery systolic pressure: a meta-analysis.Echocardiography. 2013; 30: 258-265
- Limitations and strengths of Doppler/echo pulmonary artery systolic pressure-right heart catheterization correlations: a systematic literature review.Echocardiography. 2015; 32: 10-18
- The usefulness of a 10% air-10% blood-80% saline mixture for contrast echocardiography: Doppler measurement of pulmonary artery systolic pressure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 124-129
- Echocardiographic assessment of pulmonary hypertension in patients with advanced lung disease.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2003; 167: 735-740
- Echocardiography versus right-sided heart catheterization among lung transplantation candidates.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 81: 1056-1060
- Preoperative echocardiographic evaluation of patients referred for lung volume reduction surgery.Chest. 1998; 114: 972-980
- Pathophysiology of tricuspid regurgitation: quantitative Doppler echocardiographic assessment of respiratory dependence.Circulation. 2010; 122: 1505-1513
- All you need to know about the tricuspid valve: tricuspid valve imaging and tricuspid regurgitation analysis.Arch Cardiovasc Dis. 2016; 109: 67-80
- Accuracy of Doppler echocardiography in the hemodynamic assessment of pulmonary hypertension.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009; 179: 615-621
- Inaccuracy of Doppler echocardiographic estimates of pulmonary artery pressures in patients with pulmonary hypertension.Chest. 2011; 139: 988-993
- Reliability of noninvasive assessment of systolic pulmonary artery pressure by Doppler echocardiography compared to right heart catheterization: analysis in a large patient population.J Am Heart Assoc. 2014; 3: e001103
- Accuracy and precision of echocardiography versus right heart catheterization for the assessment of pulmonary hypertension.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 168: 4058-4062
- Contrast microsphere enhancement of the tricuspid regurgitant spectral Doppler signal - is it still necessary with contemporary scanners?.Int J Cardiol Heart Vasc. 2017; 17: 1-10
Published online: November 19, 2020
Accepted: October 6, 2020
Received in revised form: August 27, 2020
Received: April 29, 2020
© 2020 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.