We report a case of a massive mediastinal teratoma in an 18-year-old woman who presented with a short history of exertional dyspnoea. The tumor arose from the left lobe of the thymus and extended into the left pleural cavity, completely compressing the left lung and extensively shifting the mediastinum to the right. Measuring 23 cm × 17 cm × 9 cm and weighing 2005 g it is one of the largest anterior mediastinal teratomas reported. It was successfully treated by surgical resection, with a final pathological diagnosis of a grades 1–2 immature teratoma.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Benign germ cell tumors of the mediastinum.in: 5th ed. General thoracic surgery. 1. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2000: 2275-2282
- Benign clinical behavior of immature mediastinal teratoma in infancy and childhood: report of two cases and review of the literature.Cancer. 1982; 49: 398-402
- Primary germ cell tumors of the mediastinum l. Analysis of 322 cases with special emphasis on teratomatous lesions and a proposal for histopathologic classification and clinical staging.Cancer. 1997; 80: 681-690
- Complete surgical excision is effective treatment for children with immature teratomas with or without malignant elements: a pediatric oncology group/Children's Cancer Group Intergroup Study.J Clin Oncol. 1999; 17: 2137-2143
- Primary immature mediastinal teratoma in adulthood.Eur J Surg Oncol. 1997; 23: 64-67
- Immature teratoma in both mediastinum and liver of a 21-year-old female patient.Acta Med Aust. 2003; 30: 26-28
- Immature (malignant) teratoma of the ovary. A clinical and pathologic study of 58 cases.Cancer. 1976; 37: 2359-2372
- Apoptosis and proliferative activity in mature and immature teratomas of the mediastinum.Cancer. 2001; 92: 1798-1806
© 2004 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.