We report a case of an acute coronary syndrome in a 21-year-old male with invasive coronary angiography and computed tomography (CT) coronary angiography showing a spontaneous dissection of the left anterior descending artery. To our knowledge the CT coronary angiographic appearance of spontaneous coronary artery dissection has been reported only once before. We describe the role CT coronary angiography may have in the evaluation of coronary dissection as well as potential treatment options.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection: appearance and follow-up on multi-detector row CT coronary angiography.Clin Radiol. 2005; 60: 1120-1125
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection during pregnancy and postpartum.Eur Heart J. 1995; 16: 136-138
- Ematoma (aneurisma) dissecante spontaneo delle coronarie e morte improvvisa.G Ital Cardiol. 1990; 20: 795-800
- Intramural dissecting haematomas in normal or otherwise unremarkable coronary arteries: a “rare” cause of death.Am J Clin Pathol. 1965; 43: 348-356
- Spontaneous multivessel coronary artery dissection in a long-distance runner successfully treated with oral antiplatelet therapy.J Invasive Cardiol. 2002; 14: 675-678
- Spontaneous coronary artery dissection: stent or wait for healing?.Heart. 2003; 89: 164-166
- Healing of spontaneous coronary dissection in the context of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa inhibitor therapy: a case report.Cathet Cardiovasc Intervent. 2000; 51: 95-100
- Thrombolytic therapy in spontaneous coronary artery dissection.Clin Cardiol. 1991; 14: 611-614
- Clinical course and long-term prognosis of spontaneous coronary artery dissection.Am J Cardiol. 1989; 64: 471-474
- Treatment of spontaneous coronary artery dissection: report of three cases.Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn. 1997; 40: 372-376
Accepted: July 20, 2006
Received in revised form: July 9, 2006
Received: April 6, 2006
© 2006 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.