A simplified circuit of modified ultrafiltration (MUF) is described. The technique described is simple, inexpensive, allows both conventional ultrafiltration (CUF) and modified ultrafiltration with minimum manipulation of the circuit, allows re-institution of cardiopulmonary bypass (CPB) in an emergency, reduces the risk of air embolism and air cavitation and can be used in adults as well as children.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- High-volume, zero-balanced hemofiltration to reduce delayed inflammatory response to cardiopulmonary bypass in children.Anesthesiology. 1996; 85: 965-976
- Modified ultrafiltration after cardiopulmonary bypass in pediatric cardiac surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 1997; 64: 521-525
- Effects of cardiopulmonary bypass and use of modified ultrafiltration.Ann Thorac Surg. 1998; 65: S35-S38
- A successful modification of ultrafiltration for cardiopulmonary bypass inchildren.Perfusion. 1991; 6: 41-50
- Techniques of paediatric modified ultrafiltration: 1996 survey results.Perfusion. 1998; 13: 93-103
- The effect of modified ultrafiltration on the postoperative course in patients with congenital heart disease.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg Pediatr Card Surg Annu. 2003; 6: 128-139
- A simple technique to perform combined ultrafiltration.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 67: 859-861
- A circuit to perform a combined ultrafiltration procedure in pediatric open heart surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2000; 70: 990-992
Accepted: October 1, 2006
Received in revised form: September 23, 2006
Received: May 11, 2006
© 2006 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.