It is very rare for heart tissue to give rise to a primary paraganglioma. Here, we report the observation of such a tumour in a 34-year-old woman who presented with symptoms of pulmonary venous congestion. The findings from echocardiography were consistent with the diagnosis of a myxoma that was partially occluding the left atrium. Surgery was performed in which a large (6 cm × 5 cm × 3 cm), non-lobulated solid tumour was resected from the posterior wall of the atrium. Upon histologic evaluation, this was determined to be a cardiac paraganglioma.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical treatment of cardiac pheochromocytomas.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1985; 89: 753-757
- Paraganglioma of the heart.Chest. 1986; 90: 604-606
- Location, localization, and surgical treatment of cardiac pheochromocytoma.Am J Cardiol. 1992; 69: 283-285
- Paraganglioma of the interatrial septum.Ann Thorac Surg. 1996; 61: 1845-1847
- Cardiac pheochromocytoma: resection after diagnosis by 111-indium octeocride scan.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 67: 555-558
- Paraganglioma of left atrium.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2001; 122: 1032-1033
Roberts William Clifford. Neoplasms involving the heart, their simulators, and adverse consequences of their therapy. Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings. 2001;14:358–76.
- Diagnosis of cardiac tumors in infants by magnetic resonance imaging.Am J Cardiol. 1985; 56: 831-832
Accepted: December 4, 2006
Received: August 23, 2006
© 2006 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.