A 67-year-old female presented with a 1-year history of exertional dyspnoea. Echocardiography showed a mass in the right atrium. Surgery revealed a lipoma on the interatrial septum, near the superior cavoatrial junction. This was excised leaving the atrial septum intact. Histopathology confirmed a benign lipoma. The patient improved symptomatically after surgery and no recurrence was seen after 1 year.
These rare masses are the accumulation of mature adipose tissue, arising from the subepicardial layer. Due to benign pathology and slow growth, right atrial lipomas may be resected without interatrial septum resection, avoiding the potential complications of more radical surgery.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tumors of the heart and pericardium.in: Silver M.D. Cardiovascular pathology. 2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone Inc., New York, NY1991 (p. 1297–333)
- Lipomatous hypertrophy of cardiac interatrial septum. A lesion resembling hibernoma, lipoblastomatosis and infiltrating lipoma.Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. 1964; 78: 11-15
- Surgical management of extensive lipomatous hypertrophy of the right atrium.Cardiovascular Surgery. 2000; 8: 88-90
- Superior vena caval obstruction by lipomatous hypertrophy of the right atrium.Clinical Cardiology. 1987; 10: 609-610
- Lipomatous hypertrophy of the interatrial septum: a prospective study of incidence, imaging findings, and clinical symptoms.Chest. 2003; 124: 2068-2073
- Abnormal atrial activity in lipomatous hypertrophy of the interatrial septum.American Heart Journal. 1974; 87: 571-576
- Lipomatous hypertrophy of the interatrial septum: an overview.Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. 2006; 130: 397-399
- Lipomatous hypertrophy of the atrial septum presenting as a right atrial mass.American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 1996; 20: 678-685
Accepted: April 22, 2008
Received in revised form: April 15, 2008
Received: August 19, 2007
© 2008 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.