I read with great interest the recent article by Campbell et al about aliskiren [
]. The authors have clearly shown that aliskiren increases tissue kallikrein expression and bradykinin levels in the heart. Interestingly, other aliskiren has significant direct cardio-protective effects in patients with significant cardio-thoracic pathologies.
- Campbell D.
- Zhang Y.
- Kelly D.
- Gilbert R.
Aliskiren increases tissue kallikrein expression and bradykinin levels in the heart.
Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2008; 17: S1
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Aliskiren increases tissue kallikrein expression and bradykinin levels in the heart.Heart, Lung and Circulation. 2008; 17: S1
- Effects of the oral direct renin inhibitor aliskiren in patients with symptomatic heart failure.Circulation: Heart Failure. 2008; 1: 17
- Aliskiren, a human renin inhibitor, ameliorates cardiac and renal damage in double-transgenic rats.Hypertension. 2005; 46: 569-576
- Effect of renin inhibition and AT1R blockade on myocardial remodeling in the transgenic Ren2 rat.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 295: E103-E109
- Effects of aliskiren on blood pressure, albuminuria, and (pro)renin receptor expression in diabetic TG(mRen-2)27 rats.Hypertension. 2008; 52: 130-136
- AVOID Study Investigators. Aliskiren combined with losartan in type 2 diabetes and nephropathy.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 2433-2446
- Effects of aliskiren, a direct renin inhibitor, on cardiac repolarization and conduction in healthy subjects.J Clin Pharmacol. 2008; 48: 799-811
- 76: Aliskiren: a new anti-renin blood pressure medication appears safe and effective in heart transplant recipients.Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2008; 27: 86-87
- Renin inhibition by aliskiren prevents atherosclerosis progression: Comparison with irbesartan, atenolol, and amlodipine.Hypertension. 2008; 51: 1306-1311
- Aliskiren as an alternative in a patient with life-threatening ACE inhibitor-induced angioedema.Am J Kidney Dis. 2008; 51: 532-533
Received: July 17, 2008
© 2008 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.