This report describes the uses of a large Eustachian valve as a cardiovascular patch. In one patient, the large Eustachian valve was used to close an atrial septal defect and in another patient it was used to create a tunnel during the lateral tunnel Fontan operation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- pericardial patch for atrial septal defect closure.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 67: 573-574
- Closure of secundum atrial septal defect with autologous right atrial patch: case report.Heart Surg Forum. 2005; 8: 1-2
- Atrial septal defect and partial anomalous pulmonary venous connection.in: Kouchoukos N.T. Blackstone E.H. Doty D.B. Hanley F.L. Karp R.B. Cardiac surgery. 3rd ed. Churchill Livingstone, Philadelphia2003: 715-780
- Bovine pericardium used as a cardiovascular patch.Heart Surg Forum. 1999; 2: 60-69
Schuchlenz HW, Saurer G, Weihs W, Rehak P. Persisting eustachian valve in adults: relation to patent foramen ovale and cerebrovascular events. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2004;17:231–3.
- Revival of the Senning operation in the treatment of transposition of the great arteries: preliminary report on recent experience.Thorax. 1977; 32: 517-524
- Surgical considerations after patch closure of atrial septal defect with tricuspid annuloplasty.Kyobu Geka. 1989; 42: 551-554
- Autologous right atrial wall patch for closure of atrial septal defects.Ann Thorac Surg. 2007; 84: 913-916
- Severe hemolytic anemia after repair of primum septal defect and cleft mitral valve.Turk J Pediatr. 2001; 43: 329-331
- Total cavopulmonary anastomosis using the atrial septal flap technique: early results.Indian J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2000; 16: 15-18
- The extracardiac lateral tunnel Fontan, constructed with bovine pericardium: comparison with the extracardiac conduit Fontan.Am Heart J. April 2006; 151: 928-933
Accepted: August 28, 2008
Received in revised form: August 25, 2008
Received: April 10, 2008
© 2008 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.