We compared the prognostic power of three pharmacological stress echocardiography protocols for predicting improvement of global left ventricular systolic function following revascularisation.
We enrolled 100 consecutive patients with significant coronary stenosis/occlusion and regional dys-synergy in the affected artery territory. Patients underwent assessment of regional and global left ventricular systolic function. They underwent then three pharmacological stress echocardiography protocols: low dose dobutamine, infra-low dose dipyridamole, combined protocol. All patients underwent coronary revascularisation. Echocardiography was repeated 8 weeks later. Predicted function improvement by the three protocols was compared with actual improvement.
The combined protocol was more sensitive to predict systolic function improvement after revascularisation, but less specific, the diagnostic accuracy was similar among the three protocols. A cutoff value of 6 viable segments best predicted global function improvement with the combined protocol.
The combined protocol has a higher sensitivity but lower specificity to predict global left ventricular systolic function improvement after revascularisation, as compared to the other two protocols.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Current diagnostic techniques of assessing myocardial viability in patients with hibernating and stunned myocardium.Circulation. 1993; 87: 1-20
- Stress echocardiography before and after interventional therapy.in: Marwick T.H. Cardiac stress testing and imaging. A clinician's guide. Churchill Livingston, New York1996: 355-367
- Comparison of 201Tl scintigraphy and low-dose dobutamine echocardiography for the noninvasive assessment of myocardial viability.Circulation. 1996; 94: 2712-2719
- Assessment of myocardial viability in patients before revascularization.Rev Esp Cardiol. 2003; 56: 721-733
- Stress echocardiography.Heart. 2003; 89: 113-118
- Defining the threshold of myocardial viability by dobutamine echocardiography.Int J Cardiol. 2003; 90: 31-32
- Infra-low dose dipyridamole test. A novel dose regimen for selective assessment of myocardial viability by vasodilator stress echocardiography.Eur Heart J. 1996; 17: 629-634
- Combined low dose dipyridamole–dobutamine stress echocardiography to identify myocardial viability.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1996; 27: 1422-1428
- Which protocol for which segment: a comparative study of different pharmacological stress echocardiography protocols for predicting viability in segments with varying degrees of dyssynergy.Echocardiography. 2009; 26: 541-548
- Dobutamine stress echocardiography for risk stratification after myocardial infarction.Circulation. 1997; 95: 1402-1410
- Time course of myocardial viability after acute myocardial infarction: an echocardiographic study.Am Heart J. 1998; 135: 51-57
- Reversible left ventricular dysfunction.Echocardiography. 2000; 17: 495-506
- Prognostic value of the amount of dysfunctional but viable myocardium in revascularized patients with coronary artery disease and left ventricular dysfunction. Investigators of this Multicenter Study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1998; 32: 912-920
- Low-dose dobutamine testing using contrast left ventriculography in the same session as coronary angiography predicts the improvement of left ventricular function after coronary angioplasty in postinfarction patients.Am J Cardiol. 1999; 83: 15-20
- Chronic myocardial hibernation in humans. From bedside to bench.Circulation. 1997; 95: 1961-1971
- Chronic hibernating myocardium: interstitial changes.Mol Cell Biochem. 1995; 147: 35-42
- The basic biology of apoptosis and its implications for cardiac function and viability.Ann Thorac Surg. 2003; 75: S656-S660
- Do alterations in intercellular coupling play a role in cardiac contractile dysfunction?.Circulation. 1998; 97: 630-632
- Severe energy deprivation of human hibernating myocardium as possible common pathomechanism of contractile dysfunction, structural degeneration and cell death.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 1189-1198
- Calcium responsiveness in regional myocardial short-term hibernation and stunning in the in situ porcine heart. Inotropic responses to postextrasystolic potentiation and intracoronary calcium.Circulation. 1996; 93: 1556-1566
- Myocardial viability.Curr Probl Cardiol. 1996; 21: 145-221
- Detection of viable myocardium by low dose of dobutamine cine MR imaging in miniswine.Chin Med J. 2003; 116: 893-896
- Real-time myocardial contrast echocardiography can predict functional recovery and left ventricular remodeling after revascularization in patients with ischemic heart disease.Chin Med J. 2007; 120: 1890-1893
- Prognosis of patients with chronic coronary artery disease and severe left ventricular dysfunction. The importance of myocardial viability.Eur J Heart Fail. 2003; 5: 85-93
- Hibernating myocardium: diagnosis and patient outcomes.Curr Probl Cardiol. 2007; 32: 375-410
- Dobutamine magnetic resonance imaging as a predictor of myocardial functional recovery after revascularisation.Heart. 2000; 83: 40-46
- Dobutamine echocardiography predicts improvement of hypoperfused dysfunctional myocardium after revascularization in patients with coronary artery disease.Circulation. 1995; 91: 2556-2565
- Dobutamine echocardiography in predicting improvement in global left ventricular systolic function after coronary bypass or angioplasty in patients with healed myocardial infarcts.Am J Cardiol. 1995; 76: 877-880
- Dobutamine echocardiography predicts functional outcome after revascularisation in patients with dysfunctional myocardium irrespective of the perfusion pattern on resting thallium-201 imaging.Heart. 1999; 82: 668-673
- Relationship between contractile reserve, Tl-201 uptake, and collateral angiographic circulation in collateral-dependent myocardium: implications regarding the evaluation of myocardial viability.J Nucl Cardiol. 2003; 10: 92-94
- Prevalence of myocardial viability as detected by positron emission tomography in patients with ischemic cardiomyopathy.Circulation. 1999; 99: 2921-2926
- Myocardial viability on echocardiography predicts long-term survival after revascularization in patients with ischemic congestive heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999; 33: 1848-1854
- Prognostic importance of the quantification of myocardial viability in revascularized patients with coronary artery disease and moderate-to-severe left ventricular dysfunction.Int J Cardiol. 2003; 90: 23-31
Accepted: August 17, 2009
Received in revised form: June 20, 2009
Received: February 7, 2009
© 2009 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.