Angiosarcomas are a rare type of malignant vascular tumour characterised by proliferation of tumour cells with vascular endothelial features. These tumours are usually very aggressive and overall mortality is very high. Pulmonary angiosarcomas are usually secondary tumours, and only a few primary cases have been reported. We present a case of a 56 year-old male with persistent haemoptysis secondary to lung epithelioid angiosarcoma with pleural metastases.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Angiosarcoma in the lung.Chest. 1993; 103: 1531-1535
- Hemoptisis de repetición secundarias a un angiosarcoma epitelioide generalizado.Arch Bronconeumol. 2004; 40: 188-190
- Epithelioid angiosarcoma of the gallbladder: case report.J Gastrointest Surg. 2005; 9: 822-825
- Epithelioid angiosarcoma of the small intestine after occupational exposure to radiation and polyvinyl chloride.Sarcoma. 2005; 9: 161-164
- Macrophage-rich epithelioid angiosarcoma mimicking malignant melanoma.J Cutan Pathol. 2006; 33: 38-42
- Epithelioid angiosarcoma of the aorta in a 47-year-old man: a case report and literature review.J Surg Educ. 2007; 64: 165-170
- Multicentric epithelioid angiosarcoma of the spine: a case report of a rare bone tumor.Spine J. 2007; 7: 716-719
Adem C, Aubry MC, Tazelaar HD, Myers JL. Metastatic angiosarcoma masquerading as diffuse pulmonary hemorrhage. Arch Pathol Lab Med 125(12):1562–5.
- Angiosarcoma presenting as diffuse alveolar hemorrhage.Chest. 1988; 94: 214-216
- Angiosarcoma developing from chronic pyothorax.Modern Pathol. 1994; 7: 906-911
- Epithelioid angiosarcoma involving the lungs.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2004; 129: 7-10
Accepted: May 3, 2010
Received in revised form: April 7, 2010
Received: February 3, 2010
© 2010 Australasian Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.