Studies to date have not identified any reliable predictors for recurrence of primary spontaneous pneumothorax (PSP) on plain chest radiograph (CXR). The aim of this study was to assess whether abnormalities on CXR at first presentation of PSP can be used to predict recurrence of PSP.
The study included all patients admitted to The Canberra Hospital between 1998 and 2004. CXRs taken at initial presentation were reviewed retrospectively by an independent radiologist. Radiological abnormalities on CXR included: pleural thickening: blebs/bullae; pleural irregularities and pleural adhesions.
One hundred patients were followed up for a mean duration of 57 months. The total rate of recurrence was 54%. Multivariate analysis found that the presence of an abnormality (irrespective of the type) increased the likelihood of recurrence and the risk of recurrence increased with each additional abnormality. Patients having one, two and three or more abnormalities were 3.0 (95% CI = 2.09, 3.91, p = 0.018), 5.3 (95% CI = 4.47, 6.13, p < 0.001) and 12.6 (95% CI = 11.57, 13.63, p < 0.001) times more likely to develop recurrence respectively.
In view of these results we now offer surgical treatment at first presentation PSP in patients in whom we identify two or more radiological abnormalities on CXR.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Recurrence of primary pneumothorax.Thorax. 1997; 52: 805-809
- Incidence of spontaneous pneumothorax in Olmsted County, Minnesota: 1950 to 1974.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1979; 120: 1379-1382
- BTS guidelines for the management of spontaneous pneumothorax.Thorax. 2003; 58: ii39-52
- Management of spontaneous pneumothorax: an American College of Chest Physicians Delphi consensus statement.Chest. 2001; 119: 590-602
- Surgical intervention in spontaneous pneumothorax.Respir Med. 1992; 86: 1-2
- Factors related to recurrence of spontaneous pneumothorax.Respirology. 2005; 10: 378-384
- Value of computed tomography of the lung in the management of primary spontaneous pneumothorax.Am J Surg. 1991; 162: 39-42
- Can CT scanning be used to select patients with unilateral primary spontaneous pneumothorax for bilateral surgery?.Chest. 2000; 118: 380-383
- Do bullae indicate a predisposition to recurrent pneumothorax?.Br J Radiol. 2000; 73: 356-359
- Value of computer tomography in the detection of bullae and blebs in patients with primary spontaneous pneumothorax.Respiration. 1992; 59: 221-227
- Prediction of recurrent spontaneous pneumothorax: CT scan findings versus management features.Respir Med. 2007; 101: 230-236
- The impact of smoking in primary spontaneous pneumothorax.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 138: 192-195
- Independent risk factors for cumulative recurrence rate after first spontaneous pneumothorax.Eur Respir J. 1991; 4: 324-331
- Blebs and/or bullae are of no importance and have no predictive value for recurrences in patients with primary spontaneous pneumothorax.Chest. 2001; 119: 1976-1977
- Usefulness of computed tomography in determining risk of recurrence after a first episode of primary spontaneous pneumothorax: therapeutic implications.Arch Bronconeumol. 2007; 43: 304-308
- Computed tomography in the etiologic assessment of idiopathic spontaneous pneumothorax.Chest. 1990; 98: 341-347
- Thoracoscopic stapled resection for spontaneous pneumothorax.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1993; 105: 389-393
- Three years’ experience in video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) for spontaneous pneumothorax.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1994; 107: 1410-1415
- Spontaneous pneumothorax: suggested etiology and treatment methods.Am J Surg. 1964; 108: 772-776
- Spontaneous pneumothorax.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 868-874
Accepted: June 7, 2010
Received in revised form: May 20, 2010
Received: December 30, 2009
© 2010 Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.