Introduction: Primary allograft failure is the leading cause of death within 30 days of heart transplantation, its incidence increasing with the duration of ischaemia. We hypothesised that the protective effect of Celsior, a commercially available crystalloid cardioplegic solution, would be enhanced by the addition of erythropoietin, which has previously been shown to have cardioprotective properties [
]. Further, we hypothesised that it would act synergistically with glyceryl trinitrate and the sodium-hydrogen exchange inhibitor zoniporide, which we have previously shown be cardioprotective in our laboratory [
- Bullard A.J.
- Govewalla P.
- Yellon D.M.
Erythropoietin protects the myocardium against reperfusion injury in vitro and in vivo.
Basic Res Cardiol. 2005; 100: 397-403
- Gao L.
- Hicks M.
- MacDonald P.S.
Improved preservation of the rat heart with celsior solution supplemented with cariporide plus glyceryl trinitrate.
Am J Transplant. 2005; 5: 1820-1826
- Hing A.J.
- Watson A.
- Hicks M.
- Gao L.
- Faddy S.C.
- McMahon A.C.
- et al.
Combining cariporide with glyceryl trinitrate optimizes cardiac preservation during porcine heart transplantation.
Am J Transplant. 2009; 9: 2048-2056
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Erythropoietin protects the myocardium against reperfusion injury in vitro and in vivo.Basic Res Cardiol. 2005; 100: 397-403
- Improved preservation of the rat heart with celsior solution supplemented with cariporide plus glyceryl trinitrate.Am J Transplant. 2005; 5: 1820-1826
- Combining cariporide with glyceryl trinitrate optimizes cardiac preservation during porcine heart transplantation.Am J Transplant. 2009; 9: 2048-2056
© 2011 Published by Elsevier Inc.