Pericardial cysts are uncommon mediastinal lesions that are usually congenital in origin. Patients are usually asymptomatic and the cysts are generally discovered on routine radiography for unrelated purposes. This case illustrates a symptomatic presentation of a haemorrhagic pericardial cyst in which radiographic, echocardiographic and multislice (MRI and CT) imaging were performed. The imaging findings were not typical of pericardial cysts leading to a diagnostic quandary despite the varied imaging techniques. In conclusion, it is important to appreciate that the imaging findings of pericardial cysts can be varied. Radiologists and clinicians alike should be aware of this variability.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pericardial cyst: case reports and a literature review.Echocardiography. 2004; 21: 269-272
- Acute cardiac tamponade caused by massive hemorrhage from pericardial cyst.Circulation. 2000; 101: e196
- Acute right-sided heart failure due to hemorrhage into a pericardial cyst.Ann Thorac Surg. 1997; 63: 845-847https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-4975(96)01373-2
- Enlarging, atypically located pericardial cyst. Recent experience and literature review.Chest. 1986; 89: 402
- Pericardial cyst.in: Gurney J.W. Winer-Muram H. Stern E.J. Diagnostic imaging: chest. Amirsys, 2006
- Pericardial cysts: a radiologic–pathologic correlation and review.Radiology. 1977; 125: 15
- Echocardiographic identification of a pericardial cyst.Chest. 1975; 68: 386
- Primary mediastinal tumors.Chest. 1997; 112: 1344-1357
- Patterns of myocardial inflammation and scarring in sarcoidosis as assessed by cardiovascular magnetic resonance.Heart. 2006; 92: 399-400
- CT and MR imaging of pericardial disease.RadioGraphics. 2003; 23: S167-S180
Published online: August 27, 2012
Accepted: July 21, 2012
Received in revised form: July 18, 2012
Received: June 18, 2012
© 2012 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.