Noncompaction of the ventricular myocardium (NCM) is a disorder of unknown aetiology characterised by numerous, prominent ventricular trabeculations and deep intertrabecular recesses. Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) is characterised by the formation of multiple cysts in the kidneys and liver and, less frequently, in the pancreas. Cardiovascular abnormalities in PKD involve hypertension, mitral valve prolapse, intracranial aneurysms and pulmonary abnormalities include primary ciliary dyskinesia and bronchiectasis. Several case reports have described the possible association between PKD and NCM. However, NCM, PKD and bronchiectasis have not previously been correlated. This is the first case of NCM coupled with PKD and bronchiectasis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Isolated noncompaction of the ventricular myocardium: contemporary diagnosis and management.Clin Cardiol. 2007; 30: 156-160
- Left ventricular non-compaction: genetic heterogeneity, diagnosis and clinical course.Int J Cardiol. 2010; 140: 145-153
- Isolated noncompaction of the left ventricular myocardium in adults: a systematic overview.J Card Fail. 2011; 17: 771-778
- Polycystic kidney disease.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 151-164
- Cardiovascular abnormalities in autosomal-dominant polycystic kidney disease.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2009; 5: 221-228
- Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease is associated with an increased prevalence of radiographic bronchiectasis.Chest. 2008; 133: 1181-1188
- Non-compaction cardiomyopathy and polycystic kidney disease.Nephrology. 2010; 15: 722-723
- Might there be an association between polycystic kidney disease and noncompaction of the ventricular myocardium?.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2009; 24: 3884-3886
- Noncompaction of the ventricular myocardium combined with polycystic kidney disease.Heart Vessels. 2006; 21: 195-198
- Familial form of noncompaction cardiomyopathy associated with polycystic kidney disease.Rev Esp Cardiol. 2010; 63: 488-489
- Human ADPKD primary cyst epithelial cells with a novel, single codon deletion in the PKD1 gene exhibit defective ciliary polycystin localization and loss of flow-induced Ca2+ signaling.Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2007; 292: F930-F945
- Cardiovascular, skeletal, and renal defects in mice with a targeted disruption of the Pkd1 gene.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001; 98: 12174-12179
Published online: August 20, 2012
Accepted: July 29, 2012
Received in revised form: May 22, 2012
Received: January 12, 2012
© 2012 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.