Infusion with hydrogen gas-saturated saline has recently been reported to exert antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity that may protect against organ damage induced by oxidative stress. Therefore because oxidative stress plays a significant role in the pathophysiology of myocardial infarction (MI), the aim of our study was to investigate whether hydrogen-rich saline has cardioprotective effects against isoproterenol-induced MI in rats.
An acute MI model was induced in male Wistar rats by subcutaneous injection of isoproterenol. Different doses of hydrogen-rich saline (5, 7.5, and 10 mL/kg body weight i.p.) or Vitamin C (250 mg/kg body weight i.g.) were administered to the rats. Oxidative stress indices including levels of myocardial marker enzymes, inflammatory cytokines, membrane-bound myocardial enzymes and histopathological changes were measured.
Compared with those in isoproterenol-MI group, hydrogen-rich saline decreased malondialdehyde and 8-hydroxy-desoxyguanosine concentrations, enhanced superoxide dismutase and Na+-K+-ATPase activity, lowered Ca2+-ATPase activity and decreased interleukin-6 and tumour necrosis factor-α levels in the serum and/or cardiac tissue of rats. Hydrogen-rich saline pretreatment also diminished infarct size, improved left heart function, and ameliorated pathological changes of the left heart.
From these results, hydrogen-rich saline exerts cardiovascular protective effects against isoproterenol-induced MI at least in part via interactions which evoke antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cardioprotective effect of salvianolic acid A on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rats.Eur J Pharmacol. 2009; 615: 125-132
- Epidemiology, pathophysiology, prognosis, and treatment of systolic and diastolic heart failure.Cardiol Rev. 2006; 14: 108-124
- Free radical scavenger mechanisms in experimentally induced ischemia in the rabbit heart and protective effect of verapamil.Arch Int Pharmacodyn Ther. 1992; 318: 55-65
- Sequential changes of energy metabolism and mitochondrial function in myocardial infarction induced by isoproterenol in rats: a long-term and integrative study.Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1997; 75: 1300-1311
- Preventive effect of naringin on cardiac markers, electrocardiographic patterns and lysosomal hydrolases in normal and isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in Wistar rats.Toxicology. 2007; 230: 178-188
- Cardioprotective effect of fluvastatin on isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rat.Eur J Pharmacol. 2008; 586: 244-250
- Changes in maximal performance of inspiratory and skeletal muscles during and after the 7.1-MPa Hydra 10 record human dive.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2000; 81: 325-328
- Hydrogen acts as a therapeutic antioxidant by selectively reducing cytotoxic oxygen radicals.Nat Med. 2007; 13: 688-694
- Inhalation of hydrogen gas suppresses hepatic injury caused by ischemia/reperfusion through reducing oxidative stress.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007; 361: 670-674
- Hydrogen therapy reduces apoptosis in neonatal hypoxia-ischemia rat model.Neurosci Lett. 2008; 441: 167-172
- Inhalation of hydrogen gas reduces infarct size in the rat model of myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008; 373: 30-35
- Hydrogen-rich saline reduces lung injury induced by intestinal ischemia/reperfusion in rats.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009; 381: 602-605
- Protective effects of hydrogen-rich saline on monocrotaline-induced pulmonary hypertension in a rat model.Respiratory Research. 2011; 12: 26-33
- Neuroprotective effects of hydrogen saline in neonatal hypoxia-ischemia rat model.Brain Res. 2009; 23: 129-137
- Cardioprotective actions of ascorbic acid during isoproterenol-induced acute myocardial infarction in rats.Pharmacology. 2009; 84: 29-37
- Preventive effect of Aegle marmelos leaf extract on isoprenaline- induced myocardial infarction in rats: biochemical evidence.J Pharm Pharmacol. 2005; 57: 1353-1357
- Cardioprotective effects of aqueous extract of Oxalis corniculata in experimental myocardial infarction.Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2011; 63: 535-540
- Role of mangiferin on biochemical alterations and antioxidant status in isoproterenol-induced myocardial infarction in rats.J Ethnopharmacol. 2006; 107: 126-133
- The antioxidant role of vitamin C.Adv Free Radic Biol Med. 1986; 2: 419-444
- Synergistic interactions of ferulic acid with ascorbic acid: its cardioprotective role during isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in rats.Mol Cell Biochem. 2006; 283: 139-146
- Protective effect of Terminalia chebula against experimental myocardial injury induced by isoproterenol.Indian J Exp Biol. 2004; 42: 174-178
- Mechanisms of cardioprotective effect of Withania somnifera in experimentally induced myocardial infarction.Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2004; 94: 184-190
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in isoproterenol induced oxidative stress in rat tissues.Pharmacol Res. 1998; 38: 297-303
- The oxygen free radical system: a fundamental mechanism in the production of myocardial necrosis.Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 1986; 28: 449-462
- Cardioprotective activity of Ginkgo biloba Phytosomes in isoproterenol-induced myocardial necrosis in rats: a biochemical and histoarchitectural evaluation.Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2008; 60: 397-404
- Assessing DNA damage and health risk using biomarkers.Mutat Res. 2002; 509: 153-163
- Tissue expression and immunolocalization of tumor necrosis factor-alpha in postinfarction dysfunctional myocardium.Circulation. 1999; 99: 1492-1498
- Inhibitory effects of antioxidants on neonatal rat cardiac myocyte hypertrophy induced by tumor necrosis factor-alpha and angiotensin II.Circulation. 1998; 98: 794-799
- Hydrogen-rich saline ameliorates the severity of l-arginine-induced acute pancreatitis in rats.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010; 393: 308-313
- Effect of dietary fats on some membrane-bound enzyme activities, membrane lipid composition and fatty acid profiles of rat heart sarcolemma.Lipids. 1992; 27: 339-343
- Depression of membrane-bound Na+-K+-ATPase activity induced by free radicals and by ischemia of kidney.Am J Physiol. 1988; 254: C330-C337
- Cell calcium, cell injury and cell death.Environ Health Perspect. 1984; 57: 281-287
Published online: December 04, 2014
Accepted: November 24, 2014
Received in revised form: November 18, 2014
Received: July 30, 2014
© 2014 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.