Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
World Health Organization. Non-communicable Diseases (NCD) Country profiles, 2014. Available at: http://www.who.int/nmh/countries/zaf_en.pdf. Accessed February 25, 2014.
- The burden of non-communicable diseases in South Africa.Lancet. 2009; 374: 934-947
- Reference values for lung function: past, present and future.Eur Respir J. 2010; 36: 12-19
- Spirometry of healthy adult South African men.S Afr Med J. 1996; 86: 814-819
- A respiratory survey in a black Johannesburg workforce.Thorax. 1994; 49: 340-346
Van Schalkwyk E, Schultz C, Joubert J, White N. Guideline for office spirometry in adults, 2004;94:576–587.
- Multi-ethnic reference values for spirometry for the 3-95-yr age range: the global lung function 2012 equations.Eur Respir J. 2012; 40: 1324-1343
- Prediction equations for spirometry in South Africa.S Afr Med J. 2013; 103: 597
- Systemic manifestations and comorbidities of COPD.Eur Respir J. 2009; 33: 1165-1185
- Pulmonary Function Is a Long-term Predictor of Mortality in the General Population. 29-Year Follow-up of the Buffalo Health Study.Chest. 2000; 118: 656-664
- The effect of pulmonary impairment on all-cause mortality in a national cohort.Chest. 1993; 103: 536-540
- Impaired lung function and mortality risk in men and women: findings from the Renfrew and Paisley prospective population study.Br Med J. 1996; 313: 711-7155
- Lung function and cardiovascular risk: relationship with inflammation-sensitive plasma proteins.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2555-2560
- Precursors of essential hypertension: pulmonary function, heart rate, uric acid, serum cholesterol, and other serum chemistries.Am J Epidemiol. 1990; 131: 1017-1027
- Forced vital capacity and the risk of hypertension. The Normative Aging Study.Am J Epidemiol. 1988; 127: 734-741
- Blood pressure increase between 55 and 68 years of age is inversely related to lung function: longitudinal results from the cohort study ‘Men born in 1914’.J Hypertens. 2001; 19: 1203-1208
- Relationship between lung function and blood pressure in Chinese men and women of Beijing and Guangzhou. PRC-USA Cardiovascular and Cardiopulmonary Epidemiology Research Group.Int J Epidemiol. 1998; 27: 49-56
- Obstructive and restrictive lung disease and markers of inflammation: data from the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination.Am J Med. 2003; 114: 758-762
- Why are patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at increased risk of cardiovascular diseases? The potential role of systemic inflammation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Circulation. 2003; 107: 1514-1519
- The Relationship Between Reduced Lung Function and Cardiovascular MortalityA Population-Based Study and a Systematic Review of the Literature.Chest. 2005; 127: 1952-1959
- The Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) study: examining the impact of societal influences on chronic noncommunicable diseases in low-, middle-, and high-income countries.Am Heart J. 2009; 158: 1-7
- Global differences in lung function by region (PURE): an international, community-based prospective study.Lancet Respir Med. 2013; 1: 599-609
Marfell-Jones M, Olds T, Stewart A, Carter L. International Standards for Anthropometric Assessment. Revised edition. International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry; 2006.
Standardization of Spirometry, 1994 Update. American Thoracic Society. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995;152:1107–1136.
- The maximal expiratory flow-volume curve. Normal standards, variability, and effects of age.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1976; 113: 587-600
- Immune activation and inflammation in HIV-1 infection: causes and consequences.J Pathol. 2008; 214: 231-241
- Guideline for office spirometry in adults, 2012.S Afr Med J. 2013; 103: 52-61
- Chronic respiratory diseases in South Africa.Chronic Diseases of Lifestyle in South Africa. 1995;
- Association between chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and systemic inflammation: a systematic review and a meta-analysis.Thorax. 2004; 59: 574-580
- Particulate air pollution induces progression of atherosclerosis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 935-942
- Increased arterial stiffness in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a mechanism for increased cardiovascular risk.Thorax. 2008; 63: 306-311