Although both chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and cardiovascular diseases (CVD) are characterised by chronic, systemic inflammation, their reciprocal interactions are poorly understood. The purpose of this study was to determine the concentrations of both inflammatory and oxidative stress biomarkers in the serum and exhaled breath condensate (EBC) of COPD patients, either with coexisting CVD or without cardio-vascular comorbidities.
Twenty-four COPD patients with CVD were allocated to group A, 20 COPD patients without CVD were assigned to group B and 16 healthy patients were included as a control. A medical history and physical examination were performed, and the following were measured: serum CRP concentration, glucose level, uraemic acid level and lipid profile. In addition 8-isoprostane, LTB4 and IL-8 concentrations were measured both in serum and EBC. Spirometry, six-minute walk test and echocardiography were performed in all subjects.
EBC concentrations of 8-isoprostane and LTB4, and serum levels of CRP, 8-soprostane, LTB4, IL-8 were significantly higher in COPD patients than in healthy controls. COPD patients with CVD were not found to have higher concentrations of the assessed markers than those without CVD, neither in the serum nor EBC. CRP, 8-isoprostane and LTB4 levels in serum, and IL-8 concentration in EBC correlated negatively with the value of forced expiratory volume in one second.
Although systemic inflammation coexists with COPD, it is not elevated in COPD patients with CVD. Since this phenomenon may result from treatment with statins, future studies should state whether COPD patients could benefit from the additional statin therapy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 176: 532-555
- Systemic effects of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Eur Respir J. 2003; 21: 347-360
- Skeletal muscle weakness, reduced exercise tolerance and COPD: is systemic inflammation the missing link?.Thorax. 2006; 61: 1-3
- C-reactive protein levels and clinically important predictive outcomes in stable COPD patients.Eur Respir J. 2006; 27: 902-907
- Elevated IL-8 and MCP-1 in the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid of patients with pulmonary fibrosis and pulmonary sarcoidosis.Am J Respir Crit Card Med. 1994; 149: 655-659
- Differences in interleukin-8 and tumour necrosis factor- alpha in induced sputum from patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or asthma.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996; 153: 530-534
- Exhaled breath condensate levels of 8-isoprostane, growth related oncogene alpha and monocyte chemoattractant protein–1 in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Respir Med. 2006; 100: 630-638
- Increased inflammatory markers in the exhaled breath condensate of cigarette smokers.Eur Respir J. 2003; 21: 589-593
- Exhaled leukotrienes and prostaglandins in COPD.Thorax. 2003; 58: 585-588
Zalecenia Polskiego Towarzystwa Ftyzjopneumologicznego dotyczące wykonywania badań spirometrycznych. Pneumonologia i Alergologia Polska 2004; 72 Supplement 2.
- The six-minute walk test.Respir Care. 2003; 48: 783-785
- Echokardiografia.Via Medica Gdansk. 2004; : 38-52
Schena M, Clini E, A Errera D, Quadri A. Echo–Doppler evaluation of left ventricular impairment in chronic cor pulmonale. Chest 1996;109:1446–1451.
- Echocardiographic evaluation of right cardiac function in patients with chronic pulmonary disease.Jpn Heart J. 2001; 42: 483-493
- Echocardiographic grading of cor pulmonale in chronic lung diseases.Wien Klin Wochenschr. 1995; 107: 184-187
- Mortality in COPD: role of comorbidities.Eur Respir J. 2006; 28: 1245-1257
- Prevalence and outcomes of diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular disease in COPD.Eur Respir J. 2008; 32: 962-969
- COPD and incident cardiovascular disease hospitalizations and mortality: Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program.Chest. 2005; 128: 2068-2075
- Hospitalizations and mortality in the Lung Health Study.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 333-339
- Obesity and systemic oxidative stress: clinical correlates of oxidative stress in the Framingham Study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2003; 23: 434-439
- Divergence between LDL oxidative susceptibility and urinary F(2)-isoprostanes as measures of oxidative stress in type 2 diabetes.Clin Chem. 2001; 47: 1974-1979
- Heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: an ignored combination?.Eur J Heart Fail. 2006; 8: 706-711
- C-reactive protein as a predictor of prognosis in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.A. J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007; 175: 250-255
- Local and systemic inflammation in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: soluble tumor necrosis factor receptors are increased in sputum.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002; 166: 1218-1224
- Correlation of inflammatory markers with echocardiographic parameters of left and right ventricular function in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cardiovascular diseases.Pol Arch Med Wewn. 2014; 124: 290-297
- Inflammation and atherosclerotic role of C-reactive protein in risk assessment.Am J Med. 2004; 116: 9-16
- Comparison of C–reactive protein and low density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in the prediction of first cardiovascular events.N Eng J Med. 2002; 347: 1557-1565
- C-reactive protein as a predictor of improvement and readmission in heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2002; 4: 331-336
- Evidence for enhanced 8- isoprostane plasma levels, as index of oxidative stress in vivo, in patients with coronary artery disease.Coron Artery Dis. 2003; 14: 213-218
- Plasma F2-isoprostanes and coronary artery calcification: the CARDIA study.Clin Chem. 2005; 51: 125-131
- Increased urinary isoprostane excretion in patients with non ischaemic congestive heart failure: a marker of oxidative stress.Heart. 2003; 89: 871-874
- Pathogenetic and therapeutic significance of the angioprotective systems in patients with coronary arterisclerosis.Kardiologiia. 1990; 30: 5-9
- Arachidonic acid metabolite in acute mycardial infarction.Angiology. 1996; 47: 649-661
- CXC-chemokines, a new group of cytokines in congestive heart failure – possible role of platelets and monocytes.Cardivasc Res. 2000; 45: 428-436
- Levels of anti-inflammatory cytokines interleukin-2, interleukin-8, and soluble interleukin-2 receptor in blood of patients with various forms of ischaemic heart disease.Ter Arkh. 2001; 73: 14-17
- Inflammatory cytokines and cardiovascular disease.Curr Drug Targets Inflamm Allergy. 2003; 2: 257-265
- Differential expression of chemokines, risk of stable coronary heart disease, and correlation with established cardiovascular risk markers.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006; 26: 194-199
- Anti-inflammatory effects of simvastatin in subjects with hypercholesterolemia.Int J Cardiol. 2001; 77: 247-253
- A relationship between insulin resistence and reduction in oxidative stress in vivo by atorvastatin.J Cardiol. 2004; 44: 233-242
- The influence of simvastatin on selected inflammatory markers in patients with chronic obstructive disease.Pol Arch of Int Med. 2010; 120: 11-17
- Usefulness of C-reactive protein and interleukin–6 as predictors of outcomes in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease receiving pravastatin.Am J Cardiol. 2008; 101: 530-535
- Reduction of morbidity and mortality by statins, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, and angiotensin receptor blockers in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 47: 2554-2560
- Raised CRP levels mark metabolic and functional impairment in advanced COPD.Thorax. 2006; 61: 17-22
- Lipids and pulmonary function in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 155: 842-848
- Systemic and lung inflammation in 2 phenotypes of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Arch Bronconeumol. 2006; 42: 332-337
Published online: February 20, 2015
Accepted: January 29, 2015
Received in revised form: January 27, 2015
Received: March 29, 2014
© 2015 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.