The study aimed to explore possible factors influencing wheezing in children with Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia (MPP).
The study included 84 children with MPP, who were divided into two groups: wheezy group (n = 40) and non-wheezy group (n = 44), along with 30 age-matched healthy controls. T-cell immunoglobulin and mucin domain gene (Tim) 1, 3 and Toll-like receptor (TLR) 2, 4 were evaluated using RT-PCR. Serum IL-10, TNF-α, IFN-γ and IgE were assessed by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Peripheral blood eosinophil (EOS) was measured by an automated haematology.
Children with MPP had markedly increased TLR2, TLR4, Tim1, IL-10, TNF-α, IgE and EOS, and decreased IFN-γ than the healthy controls. In the presence of MPP, wheezy children had significantly elevated TLR2, Tim1, Tim3, TNF-α, IgE and EOS than non-wheezy children. In wheezy children with MPP, MP-speciﬁc antibody titre was positively correlated with TLR2 and TIM1, and negatively correlated with IFN-γ. IgE was positively correlated with TLR2, TLR4 and Tim1, while EOS was positively correlated with Tim1 and Tim3.
TLR2, Tim1, Tim3, TNF-α, IgE and EOS play a role in MPP-related wheezing in children. The role of IgE might be associated with TLR2 and Tim1, and the role of EOS might be associated with Tim1 and Tim3.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia in children.Korean Journal of Pediatrics. 2012; 55: 42-47
- Importance of acute Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydia pneumoniae infections in children with wheezing.Eur Respir J. 2000; 16: 1142-1146
- Cytokines in Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections.Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2004; 15: 157-168
- Tigecycline therapy significantly reduces the concentrations of inflammatory pulmonary cytokines and chemokines in a murine model of Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009; 53: 1546-1551
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection affects the serum levels of vascular endothelial growth factor and interleukin-5 in atopic children.Allergy Asthma Immunol Res. 2012; 4: 92-97
- Late increase of interleukin-18 levels in blood during Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia.Cytokine. 2012; 59: 18-19
- Effect of clarithromycin on cytokines and chemokines in children with an acute exacerbation of recurrent wheezing: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2006; 97: 457-463
- TIM genes: a family of cell surface phosphatidylserine receptors that regulate innate and adaptive immunity.Immunol Rev. 2010; 235: 172-189
- TIM-1 and TIM-3 proteins in immune regulation.Cytokine. 2008; 44: 9-13
- The role of TIM-containing molecules in airway disease and their potential as therapeutic targets.J Inflamm Res. 2012; 5: 77
- Genetic variants of the T-cell immunoglobulin mucin 1 but not the T-cell immunoglobulin mucin 3 gene are associated with asthma in an African American population.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2005; 115: 982-988
- Toll-like receptors.Annu Rev Immunol. 2003; 21: 335-376
- Toll-like receptor activation during cutaneous allergen sensitization blocks development of asthma through IFN-gamma-dependent mechanisms.J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc. 2013; 133: 964-972
- Toll-like receptor stimulation induces airway hyper-responsiveness to bradykinin, an effect mediated by JNK and NF-κB signaling pathways.Eur J Immunol. 2004; 34: 1196-1207
- Clinical observations on lower respiratory tract infections with special reference to serum IgE levels.Pediatr Pulmonol. 1991; 11: 44-48
- A Critical Role for Eosinophils in Allergic Airways Remodeling.Science. 2004; 305: 1776-1779
- Effects of benralizumab on airway eosinophils in asthmatic patients with sputum eosinophilia.J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2013; 132 (e5): 1086-1096
- Therapeutic efficacy of macrolides, minocycline, and tosufloxacin against macrolide-resistant Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia in pediatric patients.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013; 57: 2252-2258
- Systemic Corticosteroids and Early Administration of Antiviral Agents for Pneumonia with Acute Wheezing due to Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 in Japan.PloS One. 2012; 7: e32280-e32380
- The importance of maximal airway response to methacholine in the prediction of wheezing development in patients with cough-variant asthma.Allergy. 2002; 57: 1165-1170
- A new index to identify risk of multi-trigger wheezing in infants with first episode of wheezing.Journal of Asthma. 2014; 51: 1043-1048
- Pathogenesis and association of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection with cardiac and hepatic damages.Microbiol Immunol. 2015; 59: 375-380
- Antagonism of TIM-1 blocks the development of disease in a humanized mouse model of allergic asthma.J Clin Invest. 2010; 120: 2767
- Expression of T-cell immunoglobulin-and mucin-domain-containing molecule-1 (TIM-1) is increased in a mouse model of asthma and relationship to GATA-3.Life Sci. 2008; 82: 663-669
- Protective Association of TIM1– 1454G> A Polymorphism with Asthma in a North Indian Population.Lung. 2014; : 1-8
- Tim1 and Tim3 are not essential for experimental allergic asthma.Clin Exp Immunol. 2011; 41: 1012-1021
- Tim-3 ligand galectin-9 reduces IL-17 level and accelerates Klebsiella pneumoniae infection.Cell Immunol. 2011; 269: 22-28
- Altered expression of T cell immunoglobulin-mucin (TIM) molecules in bronchoalveolar lavage CD4+ T cells in sarcoidosis.Respir Res. 2009; 10: 10.1186
- T cell Ig domain and mucin domain 1 engagement on invariant NKT cells in the presence of TCR stimulation enhances IL-4 production but inhibits IFN-γ production.The Journal of Immunology. 2010; 184: 4095-4106
Starkhammar M, Larsson O, Georén SK, Leino M, Dahlén S-E, Adner M, et al. Toll-like receptor ligands LPS and poly (I: C) exacerbate airway hyperresponsiveness in a model of airway allergy in mice, independently of inflammation. 2014;9(8):e104114.
- Toll-like receptor 2 (TLR2) plays a major role in innate resistance in the lung against murine Mycoplasma.PLoS one. 2010; 5: e10739
- Toll-like receptor 3 stimulation causes corticosteroid-refractory airway neutrophilia and hyperresponsiveness in mice.CHEST Journal. 2013; 144: 99-105
- Rapid Toll-like receptor (TLR) 7-and TLR8-mediated inhibition of bronchoconstriction in humans and guinea pigs.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012; 185: A2838
- IL-10 is an important mediator of the enhanced susceptibility to pneumococcal pneumonia after influenza infection.Journal of Immunology. 2004; 172: 7603-7609
- Lung NF-kappaB activation and neutrophil recruitment require IL-1 and TNF receptor signaling during pneumococcal pneumonia.Journal of Immunology. 2005; 175: 7530-7535
- Key role for respiratory CD103+ dendritic cells, IFN-γ, and IL-17 in protection against Streptococcus pneumoniae infection in response to α-galactosylceramide.Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2012; jis413
- IgE-dependent expression of mRNA for IL-4 and IL-5 in human lung mast cells.Journal of Immunology. 1995; 155: 1796-1808
- Allergic asthma: a tale of many T cells.Clinical & Experimental Allergy Journal of the British Society for Allergy & Clinical Immunology. 2008; 38: 1847-1857
- The change of asthma-associated immunological parameters in children with Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection.Journal of Asthma Official Journal of the Association for the Care of Asthma. 2009; 46: 265-269
- Serial Changes in Serum Eosinophil-associated Mediators between Atopic and Non-atopic Children after Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia.Allergy Asthma & Immunology Research. 2014; 6: 428-433
Published online: April 29, 2016
Accepted: March 28, 2016
Received in revised form: March 3, 2016
Received: January 22, 2016
© 2016 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.