Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) is a condition arising from compression of the subclavian vessels and/or brachial plexus. Many factors or diseases may cause compression of the neurovascular bundle at the thoracic outlet. We describe the case of a 41-year-old woman with TOS who presented with vascular venous symptoms. Chest computed tomography (CT) scan showed a cystic mass at the level of cervico-thoracic junction, located between the left subclavian artery and vein, which appeared compressed. The cystic mass was removed through a cervical approach and it was found to be a cyst arising from the thoracic duct compressing and anteriorly dislocating the left subclavian vein. After surgery symptoms promptly disappeared.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Understanding thoracic outlet syndrome.Scientifica (Cairo). 2014; 2014: 248163
- A Giant Thoracic Duct Cyst as the Cause of Abdomen Pain: A Case Report and Review of the Literature.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 21: 487-491
- Thoracic duct cyst of the mediastinum.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003; 9: 264-265
- Thoracic duct cysts: a rare differential diagnosis.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005; 132: 330-333
- Thoracic duct cyst causing mediastinal compression and acute respiratory insufficiency.Chest. 1975; 67: 725-727
- Large mediastinal thoracic duct cyst.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010; 10: 138-139
- Case 180: thoracic duct cyst.Radiology. 2012; 263: 301-304
- Thoracic Duct Cyst in Mediastinum - A case report.Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011; 44: 83-85
Published online: July 27, 2016
Accepted: June 10, 2016
Received in revised form: June 8, 2016
Received: March 3, 2016
© 2016 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.