Although liver dysfunction is one of the common complications in patients with acute heart failure (AHF), no integrated marker has been defined. The albumin-bilirubin (ALBI) score has recently been proposed as a novel, clinically-applicable scoring system for liver dysfunction. We investigated the utility of the ALBI score in patients with AHF compared to that for a preexisting liver dysfunction score, the Model of End-Stage Liver Disease Excluding prothrombin time (MELD XI) score.
We evaluated ALBI and MELD XI scores in 1,190 AHF patients enrolled in the prospective, multicentre Registry Focused on Very Early Presentation and Treatment in Emergency Department of Acute Heart Failure study. The associations between the two scores and the clinical profile and prognostic predictive ability for 1-year mortality were evaluated.
The mean MELD XI and ALBI scores were 13.4±4.8 and -2.25±0.48, respectively. A higher ALBI score, but not higher MELD XI score, was associated with findings of fluid overload. After adjusting for pre-existing prognostic factors, the ALBI score (HR 2.11, 95% CI: 1.60–2.79, p<0.001), but not the MELD XI score (HR 1.02, 95% CI: 0.99–1.06, p=0.242), was associated with 1-year mortality. Likewise, area under the receiver-operator-characteristic curves for 1-year mortality significantly increased when the ALBI score (0.71 vs. 0.74, p=0.020), but not the MELD XI score (0.71 vs. 0.72, p=0.448), was added to the pre-existing risk factors.
The ALBI score is potentially a suitable liver dysfunction marker that incorporates information on fluid overload and prognosis in patients with AHF. These results provide new insights into heart-liver interactions in AHF patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The global health and economic burden of hospitalizations for heart failure: lessons learned from hospitalized heart failure registries.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 1123-1133
- Organ dysfunction, injury and failure in acute heart failure: from pathophysiology to diagnosis and management. A review on behalf of the Acute Heart Failure Committee of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur J Heart Fail. 2017; 19: 821-836
- Abnormal liver function in relation to hemodynamic profile in heart failure patients.J Card Fail. 2010; 16: 84-90
- Abnormal liver function tests in acute heart failure: relationship with clinical characteristics and outcome in the PROTECT study.Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 830-839
- Liver function abnormalities, clinical profile, and outcome in acute decompensated heart failure.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 742-749
- Liver function tests in patients with acute heart failure and associated outcomes: insights from ASCEND-HF.Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 424-432
- Hepatic dysfunction in ambulatory patients with heart failure: application of the MELD scoring system for outcome prediction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 61: 2253-2261
- Liver dysfunction assessed by model for end-stage liver disease excluding INR (MELD-XI) scoring system predicts adverse prognosis in heart failure.PLoS One. 2014; 9e100618
- Prognostic impact of renal and hepatic dysfunction based on the MELD-XI score in patients with acute heart failure.Int J Cardiol. 2014; 176: 571-573
- Impaired hepato-renal function defined by the MELD XI score as prognosticator in acute heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2016; 18: 1518-1521
- Implications of alternative hepatorenal prognostic scoring systems in acute heart failure (from DOSE-AHF and ROSE-AHF).Am J Cardiol. 2017; 119: 2003-2009
- Assessment of liver function in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: a new evidence-based approach-the ALBI grade.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 550-558
- Time-to-furosemide treatment and mortality in patients hospitalized with acute heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 69: 3042-3051
- Effect of optimizing guideline-directed medical therapy before discharge on mortality and heart failure readmission in patients hospitalized with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction.Am J Cardiol. 2018; 121: 969-974
- Prognostic value of BNP reduction during hospitalization in patients with acute heart failure.J Card Fail. 2019; 25: 712-721
- Specialty-related differences in the acute-phase treatment and prognosis in patients with acute heart failure- insights from REALITY-AHF.Circ J. 2018; 83: 174-181
- Safety and prognostic impact of early treatment with angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers in patients with acute heart failure.Am J Cardiovasc Drugs. 2019; 19: 597-605
- 2015 ESC/ERS Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary hypertension: The Joint Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Pulmonary Hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS): Endorsed by: Association for European Paediatric and Congenital Cardiology (AEPC), International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT).Eur Heart J. 2016; 37: 67-119
- MELD-XI: a rational approach to “sickest first” liver transplantation in cirrhotic patients requiring anticoagulant therapy.Liver Transpl. 2007; 13: 30-37
- Extensions of net reclassification improvement calculations to measure usefulness of new biomarkers.Stat Med. 2011; 30: 11-21
- Liver disease and heart failure: Back and forth.Eur J Intern Med. 2017;
- Serum albumin and mortality in acutely decompensated heart failure.Am Heart J. 2010; 160: 1149-1155
- Hypoalbuminemia in acute heart failure patients: causes and its impact on hospital and long-term mortality.J Card Fail. 2014; 20: 350-358
- Combination of liver biopsy with MELD-XI scores for post-transplant outcome prediction in patients with advanced heart failure and suspected liver dysfunction.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2015; 34: 873-882
- Natural history and prognostic indicators of survival in cirrhosis: a systematic review of 118 studies.J Hepatol. 2006; 44: 217-231
- Hepatic MR elastography: clinical performance in a series of 1377 consecutive examinations.Radiology. 2016; 278: 114-124
- Albumin-bilirubin (ALBI) grade as part of the evidence-based clinical practice guideline for HCC of the Japan Society of Hepatology: A comparison with the liver damage and child-pugh classifications.Liver Cancer. 2017; 6: 204-215
- Usefulness of the direct and/or total bilirubin to predict adverse outcomes in patients with acute decompensated heart failure.Am J Cardiol. 2017; 119: 2035-2041
- Serum albumin.Hepatology. 1988; 8: 385-401
- Albumin gene expression is down-regulated by albumin or macromolecule infusion in the rat.J Clin Invest. 1992; 89: 1755-1760
Published online: December 18, 2019
Accepted: December 1, 2019
Received in revised form: October 7, 2019
Received: March 20, 2019
© 2019 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.