To investigate whether pulmonary hypertension and suicide attempts are correlated.
This study enrolled 7,727 pulmonary hypertension patients and 7,727 comparison subjects. The multivariate Cox proportional hazard model was used to calculate the adjusted hazard ratios (HRs) after adjustment for variables that were associated with suicide attempts in univariate model.
After adjustment for variables which were associated with suicide attempt, pulmonary hypertension patients had significantly higher adjusted HRs (95% confidence interval[CI]) of 2.08 (1.85, 2.34) for a suicide attempt.
We found that pulmonary hypertension was associated with a higher risk of suicide attempt.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The biopsychosocial model of illness: a model whose time has come.Clin Rehabil. 2017; 31: 995-1004
- Mortality in pulmonary arterial hypertension: prediction by the 2015 European pulmonary hypertension guidelines risk stratification model.Eur Respir J. 2017; 50
- Trends in pulmonary hypertension mortality and morbidity.Pulm Med. 2014; 2014: 105864
- Death in pulmonary arterial hypertension.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013; 188: 269-270
- Suicide deaths by intentional self-poisoning in people with cardiovascular disease.Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2018; 52: 41-47
- Suicide in males and females with cardiovascular disease and comorbid depression.J Affect Disord. 2016; 197: 88-93
- Cardiovascular disease risk factors in relation to suicide mortality in Asia: prospective cohort study of over one million Korean men and women.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 2773-2780
- Psychological distress and suicidal ideation in patients with atrial fibrillation: prevalence and response to management strategy.J Am Heart Assoc. 2018; 7: e005502
- Suicide attempt in patients with atrial fibrillation - A nationwide cohort study.Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2019; 92: 470-475
- Taiwan Health and Welfare Report.(2017. Available at:)http://www.mohw.gov.tw([accessed 14.4.15])Date: 2017
- Role of inflammation in suicide: from mechanisms to treatment.Neuropsychopharmacology. 2017; 42: 271-283
- Inflammation as a unique marker of suicide ideation distinct from depression syndrome among U.S. adults.J Affect Disord. 2019; 245: 1052-1060
- Systemic inflammation and suicide risk: cohort study of 419 527 Korean men and women.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2018; 72: 572-574
- Psychological stress and cardiovascular disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 51: 1237-1246
- Depression in heart failure a meta-analytic review of prevalence, intervention effects, and associations with clinical outcomes.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 1527-1537
- The epidemiology, pathophysiology, and management of psychosocial risk factors in cardiac practice: the emerging field of behavioral cardiology.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 45: 637-651
- Clinical Psychology and Heart Disease.Springer, NY2006
- Validation of the National Health Insurance Research Database with ischemic stroke cases in Taiwan.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011; 20: 236-242
- Validation of acute myocardial infarction cases in the national health insurance research database in Taiwan.J Epidemiol. 2014; 24: 500-507
- Validity of in-hospital mortality data among patients with acute myocardial infarction or stroke in National Health Insurance Research Database in Taiwan.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 201: 96-101
- Validity of cardiovascular data from electronic sources: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis and HealthLNK.Circulation. 2017; 136: 1207-1216
Published online: March 19, 2020
Accepted: February 10, 2020
Received: January 14, 2020
© 2020 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.