In this edition of Heart, Lung and Circulation, Amer and colleagues present the outcome of a metanalysis of 24 studies, with a total number of 5,073 patients, undergoing sutureless aortic valve replacement (SU-AVR) [
]. Mortality at 1- and 12-month follow-up was 2.5% and 2.7%, respectively, with a low risk of thromboembolism (1.6%), and acceptable paravalvular leak (0.5%). These results corroborate the positive outcomes achieved at 30 days post-AVR [
- Amer M.
- Al Jawad M.A.
- Omar A.
- Metwaly H.
Safety and haemodynamic outcomes of currently available suture-less aortic valves in patients with aortic stenosis: a meta-analysis.
Heart Lung Circ. 2020; 29: 1301-1309
- Hurley E.T.
- O'Sullivan K.E.
- Segurado R.
- Hurley J.P.
A meta-analysis examining differences in short-term outcomes between sutureless and conventional aortic valve prostheses.
Innovations (Phila). 2015; 10: 375-382
], validating that the SU-AVR is safe and reduces operative time, especially in the setting of minimally invasive procedures.
- Sohn S.H.
- Jang M.J.
- Hwang H.Y.
- Kim K.H.
Rapid deployment or sutureless versus conventional bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement: a meta-analysis.
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 155: 2402-2412.e5
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Safety and haemodynamic outcomes of currently available suture-less aortic valves in patients with aortic stenosis: a meta-analysis.Heart Lung Circ. 2020; 29: 1301-1309
- A meta-analysis examining differences in short-term outcomes between sutureless and conventional aortic valve prostheses.Innovations (Phila). 2015; 10: 375-382
- Rapid deployment or sutureless versus conventional bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement: a meta-analysis.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 155: 2402-2412.e5
- A systemic review and meta-analysis of sutureless aortic valve replacement versus transcatheter aortic valve implantation.Ann Thorac Surg. 2018; 106: 924-929
- Sutureless prosthetic heart valves.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1963; 46: 726-736
- The surgeon's work bench. An attractive approach.Am J Surg. 1966; 112: 469-470
- Mechanical heart valves: 50 years of evolution.Ann Thorac Surg. 2003; 76: S2230-S2239
- Twenty-five-year review of the Magovern-Cromie sutureless aortic valve.Ann Thorac Surg. 1989; 48: S33-S34
- Sutureless valve implantation via mini J-sternotomy: a single center experience with 2 years mean follow-up.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 63: 467-471
- Evolution of mechanical heart valves.Ann Thorac Surg. 2000; 69: 1612-1621
- The “ideal” replacement heart valve.Am Heart J. 2001; 141: 856-860
- Defining patient-prosthesis mismatch and its effect on survival in patients with impaired ejection fraction.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011; 91: 692-699
- Patient-prosthesis mismatch in patients with aortic stenosis undergoing isolated aortic valve replacement does not affect survival.Ann Thorac Surg. 2010; 89: 60-64
- Challenge for perceval: aortic valve replacement with small sutureless valves--a multicenter study.Ann Thorac Surg. 2015; 99: 1248-1254
- Sutureless versus stented valve in aortic valve replacement in patients with small annulus.Ann Thorac Surg. 2016; 102: 118-122
- Biological aortic valve replacement: advantages and optimal indications of stentless compared to stented valve substitutes. A review.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 66: 247-256
- Sutureless aortic valve replacement: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2015; 4: 100-111
- Pacemaker implantation rate post sutureless aortic valve replacement: 23% is just too high.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 104: 1761-1762
- How to prevent pacemaker implantation after sutureless aortic valve replacement: tips and tricks.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 104: 720-721
- Redo aortic valve implantation after full root replacement using a sutureless valve prosthesis.Ann Thorac Surg. 2016; 102: e421-e422
- The Perceval sutureless aortic valve: review of outcomes, complications, and future direction.Innovations (Phila). 2017; 12: 155-173
- Comparison of the performance of a sutureless bioprosthesis with two pericardial stented valves on small annuli: an in Vitro study.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 103: 139-144
- Durability of aortic valve bioprostheses.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; (Online ahead of print)
- Bioprosthetic aortic valve durability: a meta-regression of published studies.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 104: 1080-1087
- Durability of valve bioprostheses and the need of careful examination of explants.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 82: 2340-2341
- Which valve? Sutureless, stentless or TAVI?.Ann Thorac Surg. 2018; 106: 637
- Commentary: polymer prosthetic heart valves-a new era.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 157: 1817-1818
- Developing a clinically relevant tissue engineered heart valve-a review of current approaches.Adv Healthc Mater. 2017; 6
- Making progress toward a tissue engineered heart valve.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 152: 1165-1166
Published online: July 31, 2020
© 2020 Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ). Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.