In this issue of Heart, Lung and Circulation, Cheng et al. report an elegant analysis of triple valve surgery (TVS) outcomes in New South Wales, Australia [
]. Congratulations to the authors for analysing a unique set of data on this rare triple valve procedure in Australia. They concluded that TVS—defined as concomitant aortic, mitral and triscuspid valve surgery—is lifesaving for patients with universally premorbid multivalvular heart disease. Their analyses also highlighted increasing annual case volumes in Australia, predicting this trend to continue. The noted improvements in TVS results in Australia are promising, and may, in part, be due to avoiding tricuspid valve replacement. In the analysed data, ninety per cent (90%) of patients had tricuspid valve repair procedures. This may be a consequence of the known poor outcome of tricuspid valve replacement [
- Cheng Y.Y.
- Brieger D.
- Bannon P.
- Chow V.
- Kritharides L.
- Ng A.C.C.
Outcomes following triple cardiac valve surgery over 17-years: a multicentre population-linkage study.
Heart Lung Circ. 2023; 32: 269-277
- Kaul T.K.
- Mercer J.L.
Tricuspid valve replacement: factors influencing early and late mortality.
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1990; 38: 229-235
], the overall limited experience of prosthetic valve replacement in the tricuspid position being limited, and controversy about optimal choice of replacement valve [
- Poveda J.J.
- Bernal J.M.
- Matorras P.
- Hernando J.P.
- Oliva M.J.
- Ochoteco A.
- et al.
Tricuspid valve replacement in rheumatic disease: preoperative predictors of hospital mortality.
J Heart Valve Dis. 1996; 5: 26-30
- Scully H.E.
- Armstrong C.S.
Tricuspid valve replacement. Fifteen years of experience with mechanical prostheses and bioprostheses.
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995; 109: 1035-1041
- Munro A.I.
- Jamieson W.R.
- Tyers G.F.
- Germann E.
Tricuspid valve replacement: porcine bioprostheses and mechanical prostheses.
Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 60 (discussion S473-4): S470-S473
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Heart, Lung and Circulation
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Outcomes following triple cardiac valve surgery over 17-years: a multicentre population-linkage study.Heart Lung Circ. 2023; 32: 269-277
- Tricuspid valve replacement: factors influencing early and late mortality.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1990; 38: 229-235
- Tricuspid valve replacement in rheumatic disease: preoperative predictors of hospital mortality.J Heart Valve Dis. 1996; 5: 26-30
- Tricuspid valve replacement. Fifteen years of experience with mechanical prostheses and bioprostheses.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995; 109: 1035-1041
- Tricuspid valve replacement: porcine bioprostheses and mechanical prostheses.Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 60 (discussion S473-4): S470-S473
- Outcome characteristics of multiple-valve surgery: comparison with single-valve procedures.Innovations (Phila). 2014; 9: 27-32
- Clinical outcome after triple-valve operations in the modern era: Are elderly patients at increased surgical risk?.Ann Thorac Surg. 2014; 97: 569-576
- Right ventricular dysfunction, but not tricuspid regurgitation, is associated with outcome late after left heart valve procedure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 64: 2633-2642
- eComment. Tricuspid valve surgery in left-sided valve surgery: good outcome depends on the preoperative right ventricular function.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2015; 20: 118-119
- Commentary: Late tricuspid valve insufficiency following mitral valve repair: a marker or a cause for inferior outcome?.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; 161: 2042-2044
- Tricuspid valve disease with significant tricuspid insufficiency in the fetus: diagnosis and outcome.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1991; 17: 167-173
- [Outcome of corrected and uncorrected tricuspid insufficiency after repair with prostheses in mitral and mitro-aortic valve diseases. Apropos of 159 cases].Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss. 1977; 70: 461-468
- Natural history of functional tricuspid regurgitation quantified by cardiovascular magnetic resonance.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 1291-1301
- RERIC (Emilia Romagna Cardiac Surgery Registry) Investigators. Triple valve surgery: results from a multicenter experience.J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2018; 19: 382-388
- Concomitant mitral regurgitation in patients with chronic ortic Regurgitation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 233-246
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons risk model for operative mortality after multiple valve surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 95: 1484-1490
- Triple-valve procedures: impact of risk factors on midterm in a rheumatic population.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 82: 1729-1734
- Triple valve replacement for rheumatic heart disease: short- and mid-term survival in modern era.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2015; 20: 359-364
- Survival advantage and improved durability of mitral repair for leaflet prolapse subsets in the current era.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 82: 819-826
- Triple-valve surgery: clinical results of a three-decade experience.J Heart Valve Dis. 2011; 20: 75-82
- Transcatheter triple-valve intervention.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2021; 14: e179-e181
- Sutureless aortic valve replacement in the setting of triple-valve surgery.Innovations (Phila). 2015; 10: 291-293
© 2023 Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of Australian and New Zealand Society of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgeons (ANZSCTS) and the Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSANZ).